Adult and Disability Services

Health and Human Services

Adult Foster Care
Foster care for adults assists men and women, 18 years of age and older, who are unable to live alone but want to live in a family setting. They are emotionally, physically or mentally dependent, or frail elderly who may be able to attend school, work or day programs.

As an adult foster care provider it is your responsibility to provide a home-like setting, care, supervision and companionship, and to provide the opportunity for people to do as much as possible for themselves as long as possible in the community. Foster families may request a certain gender, age and anticipated duration of placement. It is most important that the family is able to provide a safe, nurturing environment.


  • You need to be at least 21
  • You must live in Pine County
  • You need to have enough income to meet your own needs
  • You should be one year from a major life change such as a marriage, divorce, completion of chemical dependency treatment, birth of a first child or a significant loss.
  • You must be willing to give us permission to check social service and court records.
  • Your home must have at least two bedrooms.
  • You must be willing to participate in regular training. 

Adult Foster Care Licensing

If you are interested in pursuing foster care licensing or have more questions, please contact Pine County Health and Human Services at 800-450-7463 and ask to speak with a Foster Care licensor.

Adult Mental Health

The Mental Health Team of Pine County provides assessment, intake, information and referral, and case management for individuals with mental health issues. A Pine County Case Manager can determine eligibility based on assessment.

Mental Health problems may include:

•  Bipolar disorder
•  Major depression
•  Schizophrenia
•  Borderline personality disorder
•  Acute/situational depression

Related services may include, case planning, consultation, crisis intervention, legal commitments, guardianship/conservatorship, and facilitate hospitalization and other placements.

For the general public:

  • Education and Prevention Services
  • Emergency or Crisis Services

For persons with a serious and persistent mental illness:

  • Case Management Assessment
  • Development of comprehensive care plan
  • Referral and coordination
  • Monitoring and evaluation
  • Community Support Program
  • Assistance with government benefits
  • Client Outreach
  • Crisis assistance
  • Day treatment
  • Employability and supported work
  • Medication monitoring
  • Independent living arrangements
  • Independent living skills
  • Psycho-social rehabilitation

 Adult Protection Services

To make a report of maltreatment regarding a vulnerable adult please call the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) 24 hours a day 7 days a week at 844-880-1574.

If you are a mandated reporter you may complete a report of maltreatment online:

 A vulnerable adult is a person 18 years of age or older who is:

  • Impaired mentally, physically, and/or emotionally that makes it hard for them to care for themselves without assistance.

  • Anyone who lives in a care facility (nursing home, foster home, etc.) or who receives in-home services from a licensed provider (PCA, home care, etc.) and/or,

  • Is unable to seek assistance to protect themselves from abuse, neglect, and/or exploitation.

The Adult Protection team provides investigations, assessments and protective services to protect the health, safety, and welfare of a vulnerable adult that has been a victim of maltreatment. Maltreatment may include:

  • Abuse-physical, emotional and/or sexual

  • Neglect-failure by a caregiver to fulfill a caretaking obligation

  • Self-Neglect-failure by a vulnerable adult to adequately provide for their own health and safety

  • Financial exploitation-misuse of vulnerable adult’s funds or property

 For more information regarding Adult Protection Services please visit:

Chemical Dependency Assessment & Treatment

Chemical dependency services are offered to anyone in need of an evaluation of drug and alcohol use and is a referral source for multiple services. Services available through Teen Focus Recovery Center:  320-358-4065.

Services for persons seeking treatment for chemical dependency or chemical abuse who meet income guidelines include the following:

  • Detoxification
  • Chemical use assessment
  • Outpatient treatment
  • Primary residential treatment
  • Extended care
  • Halfway house
  • Consolidated Chemical Dependency Treatment Fund (CCDTF)
  • Assessments to determine the degree of abuse or dependency to chemicals (link to Pine Assessment Services)
  • Financial assistance for treatment may be available
  • Legal commitments, guardianship/ conservatorship
  • Facilitate treatment placements

Detoxification (Drugs & Alcohol)

Chemical Detoxification is provided to persons found in need primarily through the Law Enforcement Agencies. Pine County receives services through the Center for Treatment of Alcohol and Drugs in Duluth, Minnesota.


Persons who are unable to handle their own affairs may need a guardian or conservator. If this situation happens a licensed attorney should be contacted. The attorney will need answers to many questions. The web link below connects to the forms, and instructions for those forms, that have those questions.

State Link: