Pine County strives to ensure safe environments and services for vulnerable adults and encourages
reporting of suspected maltreatment.
The Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) provides a toll-free number, 1-844-880-1574. MAARC operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week for anyone to make a report. MAARC also provides an opportunity for mandated reporters to meet their reporting duty by making a web report at mn.gov/dhs/reportadultabuse/.
- A vulnerable adult can be anyone over age 18 who:
- Has a physical, mental or emotional disorder that makes it difficult for the person to care for themselves without help and to protect themselves from maltreatment
- Is in a hospital, nursing home, transitional care unit, assisted living, housing with services, board and care, foster care or other licensed care facility
- Receives services such as home care, day services, personal care assistance or other licensed services.
- Abuse, including physical, emotional and sexual abuse, use of restraints, involuntary seclusion or punishment
- Neglect, including failure to provide necessary food, shelter, clothing, health care or supervision because of neglect by a caregiver or because the vulnerable adult cannot meet their own needs
- Financial exploitation, including theft or withholding of money or property and/or use of money or property not for the vulnerable adult's benefit.
The Pine County Adult Protection Unit provides assessments, civil investigations, and protective services to protect the health, safety, and welfare of a vulnerable adult who is at risk of maltreatment or has been a victim of maltreatment.
For more information regarding Adult Protection Services please visit: www.mn.gov/dhs/adult-protection/
Individuals who are deemed by a doctor to be incapacitated may need a guardian or conservator. Guardianship/conservatorship companies may found through https://mnhelp.com/ to assist in a court order. Pine County may assist in crisis situations through protective services in an open adult protection investigation. If you would like further information regarding guardianship/conservatorship manuals and forms, please go to http://mncourts.gov/GetForms.aspx?c=21