Mental Health

Health and Human Services

When children are in need of mental health services, it may be difficult for them and/or their care providers to receive appropriate services to meet multiple needs. The "Minnesota Comprehensive Children's Mental Health Act" recognizes that children do not always get the services they need.

Pine County provides case management services to assist eligible children and their families. Children's Mental Health Case Management services are voluntary, and may be accepted or refused by the parents. The case manager can assist in the coordination of a comprehensive mental health assessment, if one is not currently available, to determine the child's mental health needs.

  • The case manager will assist the child and the child's family in obtaining needed services by coordinating with other agencies and assuring continuity of care for the child.
  • The case manager will work together with the family to continually assess and reassess the delivery, appropriateness, and effectiveness of these services.
  • The case manager will connect with the people involved in the care, counseling, education, and treatment of the child in an effort to coordinate and monitor services.

Parents or legal guardians will be asked to participate in developing a comprehensive plan called an IFCSP (Individual Family Community Support Plan), based on the child's unique needs. These plans will be reviewed on a regular basis to determine if the goals for the child are being met and if other services are needed.

A variety of services available through Children’s Mental Health Case Management may be provided based on the individual needs of the child and family. Available services include:

  • Referral to Children’s Therapeutic Support Services (CTSS) and/or Community Skills Program
  • Referral for Diagnostic Assessment/Needs Assessment
  • Referral for Psychological Evaluations
  • Referral for Psychiatric Care/Medication Monitoring
  • Coordinated Treatment Planning
  • School Consultation and Support
  • Assistance in Securing Respite Care Services
  • Referral for Individual or Family Therapy
  • Crisis Assistance
  • Advocacy for Child and Family
  • Financial Assistance Referrals
  • Vocational Assistance
  • Referral to Appropriate Support Groups
  • Coordination of Personal Care Attendant (PCA)
  • Assistance in Development of Independent Skills
  • Transitional and Adult Mental Health Referral and Support Coordination


  • Text MN to 741741 to be connected with a counselor
  • Mobile Crisis Services (24 hour Crisis Hotline): 1-800-523-3333
  • Therapeutic Services Agency 320-629-7600
  • Nystrom and Associates: 651-379-1785
  • Lighthouse Child and Family Services LLC 320-983-2335

Referral Email:

Referral by Phone: 320-591-1570

For information on more resources for Mental Health Services, go to:

Pamphlets that may be helpful:

Children's Mental Health Brochure
Children's Mental Health Referral