Transient Merchant License


According to Minnesota Law, "Transient merchant" includes any person, individual, co-partnership, limited liability company, and corporation, both as principal and agent, who engage in, do, or transact any temporary and transient business in this state, either in one locality, or in traveling from place to place in this state, selling goods, wares, and merchandise; and who, for the purpose of carrying on such business, hire, lease, occupy, or use a building, structure, vacant lot, or railroad car for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares, and merchandise. The term "transient merchant' does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors. 

Such persons are required to file a $3,000 bond with the Auditor-Treasurer. Must produce evidence that they hold a valid MN Sales and Use Tax Permit. File an application with the County Auditor-Treasurer, obtain necessary permits and Licenses from City officials, comply with all requirements of law and provide a "Merchandise List". The license fee is $150 and is valid for one year from the date of issue. 

Contact the Auditor-Treasurer's Department at 1-800-450-7463 ext. 1660 or 320-591-1660 for more information. Send completed application to Pine County Auditor-Treasurer 635 Northridge Dr NW
Pine City, MN 55063 or email to

 Information from the State of Minnesota may be obtained at the following links:

329.099, Minnesota Statutes 2006
329.11, Minnesota Statutes 2006