To become a Notary Public in Minnesota, you must first apply to the Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will issue you a notary commission card that must be registered in the county where you reside. To find out information about notary education, training and how to file notary registrations, visit the Minnesota Notary Public website.
TO REGISTER IN PERSON
Bring in your original notary commission card. If you renewed online, you can print a copy from the website and bring that in with you.
The fee is $20.00. Make check or money order payable to “Pine County Recorder”.
TO REGISTER BY MAIL
Please complete the following steps to register your signature by mail.
- Send the commission certificate from the Minnesota Secretary of State with required original signatures.
- You must complete and have notarized, an “Affidavit of Signature Identity” with the following: Enclose filing fee of $20.00, refer to Minnesota Secretary of state website if you have any questions.
- a signature that matches the first, middle and last name as listed on the notary's commission and shown on the notarial stamp, and
- a sample signature in the style in which the notary will actually execute notarial acts
- WE ACCEPT CASH, CHECK OR CREDIT CARDS.
Mail to: Pine County Recorder, 635 Northridge Drive NW, Pine City, MN 55063
The same application can be used to change your name on your Notary Commission. The new card would need to be registered with the same county in Minnesota in which you originally registered.
Affidavit of Signature Identity