WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Nutrition

Public Health

WIC (Women, Infants & Children)


Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federally funded nutrition and breastfeeding program.  WIC serves pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, along with infants and children up to age 5.

*Due to COVID-19 WIC Services will be provided over the phone.
Please call 320-591-1596 for more information*

WIC Offers

  • Nutrition information
  • Healthy foods, including fruits and vegetables, whole grains, cereals, eggs, beans or peanut butter, dairy products, juice, and infant foods.  Check out the WIC Shopping Guide for more information. 
  • Referrals to other health or community programs
  • Breastfeeding support

Qualifying for WIC

If you or a family member is currently participating in any of the following programs you are adjunctively eligible for the WIC program

  • Medical Assistance
  • Medical Assistance-TEFRA
  • SNAP (Food Stamps)
  • MN Family Investment Program (MFIP)
  • Fuel Assistance
  • Reduced or Free School Lunches
  • Head Start
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)-if someone in your family is receiving SSI or MA-TEFRA, the person receiving these benefits is adjunctively eligible for the WIC program

Your family may also qualify for WIC based on your household size and gross income (before taxes are taken out).

Applying to WIC

You can now apply ONLINE for WIC


Please call us at (320) 591-1596 and we will go through the screening process and see if you qualify to receive WIC services. WIC staff will work with you on making sure you can have your WIC appointment at the clinic that is most convenient for you.

For your first appointment, make sure to bring:

  • The person being certified to the WIC program (the pregnant woman or child/children).
  • Picture identification
  • Proof of address.  Proof could include a current driver’s license, a bill, a rent receipt, or personal mail with your name and address on it.
  • Proof of income.  Proof can include work pay stubs, a recent tax form, a child support or unemployment check OR proof of enrollment in MFIP, MA, SNAP, SSI, Free/Reduced School Lunch Program, Energy Assistance, or Head Start

During the WIC appointment:appt wic

  • WIC staff will measure height, weight, and hemoglobin (by a quick finger stick)
  • Talk with one of our WIC nurses about nutrition and healthy eating, breastfeeding, and any health concerns.
  • Get a WIC Card to buy healthy foods

A WIC appointment typically takes about 30-60 minutes but may take longer if multiple people are being certified.

After the first WIC appointment we will have you come back to the WIC clinic every 1-3 months depending on your needs.

WIC Card

The WIC card will provided to you at your WIC appointment and this is how you shop for WIC foods.  A 4 digit PIN will allow you to use your card.  Benefits will last for 30 days, then expire; unused items do not rollover.

The My Minnesota WIC APP is a great tool. You can check if a food item is WIC allowed, locate WIC stores, and show your balance. 

My Minnesota WIC App Brochure

My Minnesota WIC Card Brochure

Using Your WIC Card Video

If your WIC Card is lost, stolen, or damaged please contact us at 320-591-1596 or call 1-833-566-5248.  You must contact the WIC clinic to have your card replaced.

If you forget your PIN or need to change it, please call 1-833-566-5248

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/ad-3027.pdf , from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider


WIC is currently provided in two locations:

Pine County Courthouse
635 Northridge Dr NW
Pine City, MN 55063

North Pine Government Center
1602 Highway 23 N
Sandstone, MN 55072

You can now apply online  for WIC
P: 320-591-1596