Marriage License


Where to apply: You may apply for a Minnesota marriage license in any Minnesota county. In Pine County, you may apply at the County Recorder’s Office during the hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Applications are not done after 4:00 p.m.

Who can apply: Both applicants are required to be present.

Age requirement: 18 or older.

Fee (Non-Refundable):

  • Application - $115.00
  • Application for a Reduced Marriage Fee with Educator’s Statement - $40.00

See link below for Educator’s Statement Requirements.

Please note additional fees are required under certain circumstances. See “Other Information”.

Identification: A current valid ID is required to apply. An acceptable form of ID is a driver’s license, passport, government issued identification card or a tribal ID card.

Social Security numbers: Social security numbers are required on the application form. We do not need your social security card. (If you do not have a social security number, you will be required to certify that on the application form.)

Felony:  As of August 1, 2023, you will no longer be able to change your name at the time of application. 

Previous marriage: If either applicant has been married before the following information is required on the application form:

  • Marriage ended by death - date of death, the city and state where the death occurred.
  • Marriage ended by divorce – date the divorce was finalized, the city, county and state it took place in.

License issuance: The license is issued the same day you apply. 

License validity: The license is good for six months and is only good in the State of Minnesota.

Other information:

  • Please allow approximately 30 minutes of time when applying for a marriage license.
  • We accept cash, check or credit cards. 
  • The marriage license is valid for six months.
  • Birth Certificates are not required to apply for a Marriage License.
  • Additional fees are required at the time of application if any of the following circumstances apply:
    • Supplemental indenture form required;
    • Guardianship;
    • Marriage license is lost, destroyed or amended.

If you have any questions, please contact the Pine County Recorder’s Office at (320) 591-1642.